15 July 2007

Black coffee

During a medical conference I came across a very interesting personality, a Professor of Medicine. He was as dark as a coal and not very tall. His South Indian accent English was so fast that it was difficult to follow. His students nick named him as a verbal diarrhea professor.

When I saw him in the cocktail party with a young lady, I thought she might be his daughter, helping the 70 years old Professor. Just to clear my doubts I asked my friend about this lady.

He told me "This lady is his third wife, the other two had left him or dead he was not sure."

During the drinking session I occupied a seat next to the professor and his wife. He could guess my inquisitiveness regarding the lady which he coolly clarified and introduce her to me as his wife.

I praised the lady for her beauty and asked "whether she was a south Indian?"

Professor answered after finishing off his 3rd peg- "Yes she is."

Then he added "Do you know why I preferred south Indian ladies?"

"No sir, that may be your personal choice."

Prof: "Can you tell me the similarities between black coffee and a south Indian lady?"

"No sir"

Prof: They are black- agree?

"Yes"

Prof: "Both are strong"

"Yes, I agree"

Prof: "Both keep you awake throughout the night."

"As you say,I have no experience, sir"

We had a hearty laughter after that and it was time for dinner.



I came to know about his sad demise about a year after our last meeting. He was not only a very romantic person but also a very good teacher and down to earth doctor. I don't think we will ever have such an interesting personality in API(association of physicians of India) in near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment